MK ULTRA PROJECT : MIND-CONTROL EXPERIMENTATION (PART 1-2-3)
by, Julianne McKinney
Director, Electronic Surveillance Project
Association of National Security Alumni
Whither the KGB?
In February 1974, Georgetown University’s Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) hosted discussions on the plight of dissenters in the Soviet Union, and on a means by which the U.S. Government might most effectively intervene. highlights of these discussions are reported in “Understanding the Solzhenitzyn Affair: Dissent and its Control in the USSR,” (CSIS, 1974).
KGB strategies were addressed in some detail during these discussions. It was noted that the KGB’s success depended on the extensive use of informant networks and agent provocateurs; and, following Brezhnev’s rise to power, on the use of drugs and psychiatrists for further purpose of manipulation and control. Shadowing, bugging, slandering, blacklisting and other related tactics were also cited as serving KGB purpose. Participants in the conference agreed that the KGB’s obvious intent was to divide and isolate the populace, to spread fear, and to silent dissenters.
Agencies of our own government are on record as having employed precisely these same tactics on a recurrent basis. The Church and Rockefeller Committee Hearings in the mid-70’s purportedly put an end to these practices. Based on recent developments, it would appear that the CIA’s and FBI’s Operations MKULTRA, MHCHAOS and COINTELPRO (the focus of these Senate Committee and Vice-President- level Hearings) were instead merely driven underground. We are now in contact with a total of 25 individuals, scattered throughout the United states, who firmly believe they are being harassed by agencies of the U.S. vernment. Others have been brought to our attention whom we will be contacting in the future. The majority of these individuals claim that their harassment and surveillance began in 1989.
The methods reportedly employed in these harassment campaigns bear a striking resemblance to those attributed to the CIA and FBI during Operations MKULTRA, MHCHAOS and COINTELPRO. The only difference now is that electronic harassment and experimentation also appear to be (more blatantly) involved.
The Berlin Wall is down, Communism is in the midst of a death rattle, and the KGB no longer poses the threat which purportedly served to justify the U.S. Government’s resort to such Operations as MKULTRA, MHCHAOS and COINTELPRO. The KGB, since 1989, has been
reduced to an increasingly distant memory.
Reactivation of surveillance/harassment/mind-control operations in this country suggest that the KGB, as an institution, was never the real threat. A KGB “mentality,” which is underlying Pragmatic contempt for civil liberties, appears, instead, to have been the driving force behind MKULTRA, MHCHAOS and COINTELPRO, and the operations now being reported to us.
The KGB “mentality” is a matter of personal predilection, not ideology. Its objective is power and control, regardless of human cost. It is a corrupting, cancerous influence, which feeds on fear, conformity and government funding.
Four months ago, when this Project commenced, we approached these complaints of government harassment and experimentation with an admitted “high degree of caution.” We are no longer skeptical. The growing numbers of independent complaints and the similarities
between those complaints cannot be ignored. Under the circumstances, the KGB should be proud of itself. As a “mentality,” the KGB appears to be accomplishing more in “burying this country” from within, than it could ever have hoped to have achieved as an institution. It would appear that this country has a serious problem on its hands which needs to be resolved.
Part I of this report, which is reprinted from the June-July edition of the association’s publication, Unclassified, preliminarily addresses the complaints brought to our attention as of July 1992. Our objective, as noted, was to weigh the legitimacy of those complaints in terms of the directed-energy technologies reportedly involved. Part II discusses the overt and covert patterns of harassment identified as a result of our investigations, to date. A part of our objective, here, is to limit the success of such operations in the future, by according
them widespread publicity.
In Part II, we do not identify individuals by name, both to honor their privacy and because our investigations have not been completed. Part II, like Part I, is a preliminary finding. Our focus is on the similarities of the complaints being received — similarities which Federal and State legislators, the courts, the FBI, local law enforcement agencies, the medical and psychiatric professions, and organizations such as the ACLU and Amnesty International have so far chosen to ignore.
We frankly find it curious that more attention and creditability is being accorded purported victims of UFO experiences and spectral visitations, than to persons who complain of systematic harassment and experimentation by the U.S. Government, involving technologies which the U.S. Government is only now grudgingly admitting to possess. These complaints require investigation. In due course (and provided financial support is obtained), we hope to be able to acquire the technology and supportive medical expertise to substantiate the claims being made. We also hope to alter the institutional mindset that U.S. Intelligence can be trusted. History, repeatedly, has proven otherwise.
PART 1 – THE PROBLEM SURFACES
[Reprinted from the June-July 1992 edition of UNCLASSIFIED (Vol. IV, No. 3), published by The Association of National Security Alumni, Washington, D.C.]
The August-September 1991 issue of UNCLASSIFIED reviewed Hamline University’s “Public Administration” report on the resolution of MKULTRA cases in 1988. Although the shocking details of medical ethics abuses by the U.S. and Canadian governments were amply detailed, Washington and Ottawa — citing national security and government privilege stalled for so long that cases never came to trial. the surviving victims settled for a pittance in an out of-court settlement.
Since no individuals or agencies were held legally accountable, the door was left open for possible resumption of similar “mind control” activities. In the context of that article, we mentioned briefly that some half-dozen people had contacted us with appeals for assistance in ending what they believe to be electronic harassment and mind control experimentation, possibly involving the CIA. We decided to take a closer look at the situation.
We are now in touch with approximately a dozen individuals throughout the United States who appear to be targets of harassment and mind-control experimentation involving directed-energy technologies. [By mid-November 1992, the number had increased to 25.]
Typically, persons who complain of being “zapped by radio waves” and of “hearing voices” are stigmatized as psychotic, delusional or schizophrenic. Being mindful of this, as well as aware of the treatment accorded UFO and psychic phenomena “freaks,” we approach this subject with a high degree of caution. Based on our preliminary investigation, including interviews with the affected individuals, we conclude that the matter is serious and should be pursued further.
The Existing Directed-Energy Arsenal Our first step was to determine what, if any technology exists which might be used for electronic harassment. The information was found in a “white paper” published in 1991 by the U.S. Global Strategy Council — a Washington-based organization, under the chairmanship of Ray Cline, former Deputy Director of the CIA, who maintains very close ties with the U.S. Intelligence community. The “white paper” describes the foreign and domestic uses foreseen for laser weapons, isotropic radiators, infrasound, non-nuclear electromagnetic pulse generators, and high-powered microwave emitters.
The term, “non-lethal,” used to describe this technology is misleading. the energy emitted from all of these weapons can kill people when appropriately amplified. At lower levels of amplified, they can cause extreme forms of physical discomfort and debilitation.
The Department of the Army (DA) identifies these same weapons as “non-conventional.” They were so identified in an exhibit at a DA sponsored symposium on “The Soldier As A System,” in Crystal City, VA, on June 30, 1992. Beta wave incapacitators were separately mentioned during the symposium as being particular interested to the U.S. Marine Corps.
We discussed these “non-conventional” directed-energy weapons with Mr. Vernon Shisler, manager of the exhibit and the Army’s delegate to NATO in matters pertaining to “The Soldier As A System.” Mr. Shisler acknowledged not only that directed-energy weapons are in the Dod’s arsenal, but also that the American soldier will remain vulnerable to their ffects, should they be employed in the battlefield.
The U.S. Global Strategy Council recognizes the issue of vulnerability, as well, and urges ongoing research into effective countermeasures. Interested readers may want to send for the U.S. Global Strategy Council’s complete project proposal on this subject: (Title: Nonlethality: Development of a National Policy and Employing Nonlethal Means in a New Strategic Era, prepared by Janet Morris). A number of references in this Proposal to unidentified, elusive “enemies” of the U.S. Government and the potential domestic applications of this “non-lethal” technology invite serious consideration by the public at large.
The Council’s address is 1800 K Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20006, (202) 466-6029.
BIOEFFECTS OF MICROWAVE RADIATION
Research into biological and psychological effects of exposure to microwave radiation is voluminous. The U.S. public has been led to believe that the former Soviet Union leads in this research. The fact is, the CIA and DoD [Department of Defense] have jointly pursued precisely the same research since commencement of Project Pandora in the 1950’s. The current primary users of this research appear to be the CIA, DoD, the National Security Agency (NSA) and the Department of Energy (DoE).
The Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) has participated in this research since Project Pandora. In 1973, WRAIR discovered that externally-induced auditory input could be achieved by means of pulsed microwave audiograms, or analogs of spoken words’ sounds.
The effect on the receiving end is the (schizophrenic) sensation of “hearing voices” which are no part of the recipients’ own thought processes.
The experiment prompted the following comment in “The Body Electric: Electromagnetism and the Foundation of Life,” by Robert O. Becker, M.D., and Gary Selden (Wm. Morrow & Company, NY, 1985): “Such a device has obvious applications in covert operations designed to drive a target crazy with ‘voices’ or deliver undetected instructions to a programmed assassin.” This research has continued, and the results are published in various publicly available scientific and technical journals. Interested readers might consult, for example: Lin, James C., Electromagnetic Interaction With Biological Systems (Plenum Press, NY, 1989). Professor Lin, then with the Department of Bioengineering, University of Illinois, chicago, has published a number of books and articles on this subject. [He has more recently informed us that he had designed the experiment referred above in Dr. Becker’s book.]
WRAIR has more recently been studying the biological effects of exposure to high power microwave radiation. WRAIR presented a paper on this subject to a DoD-sponsored symposium on “MW [microwave] Weapons” at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA, in mid-1989. A matter of interest to us is why WRAIR should be experimenting with auditory effects of pulsed microwave audiograms. Also, recent statements by an Army psychiatrist assigned to the Walter Reed Army Medical Center (WRAMC) suggest that WRAIR may be experimenting upon select psychiatric inpatients with microwaves. This, too, is a matter to us.
The Government’s past record of abuses in the area of civil rights is well documented. Within the past 30 years alone, we have witnessed the effects of Operations MKULTRA, MHCHAOS And COINTELPRO. Primarily because of MKULTRA, MHCHAOS and COINTELPRO, Executive Orders and implementing regulations were published which prohibited military and CIA domestic covert intelligence operations. Experiments on involuntary human subjects, and the surveillance of/collection of personal information on U.S. citizens, except under strictly regulated conditions were also prohibited.
Congressional committees were created to oversee compliance with these (quasi-) legal prohibitions. We have evidence that this is not being done. Moreover, where there are laws and, in this case, no laws enacted, th ere are loopholes, as well as individual and institutions who deliberately capitalize upon the existence of loopholes. Iran-Contra is one of the more blatant recent examples. Loopholes are also found in government resort to “black” intelligence and weapons programs, in the use of contractors, and in the absence of clear definitions of such terms as “national security” and “national security risk.”
Executive Orders and regulations which currently limit U.S. Intelligence activities do not extend to non-intelligence government agencies or to their contractors. If fact, Executive Order 12333 specifies that government contractors do not need to know that their services support U.S. Intelligence objectives. In its report of July 8, 1992, the Senate Subcommittee on Oversight of Government Management addresses the problem of tracking funds granted to government-contracted research and development (R&D) centers. The report notes that the problem is compounded by DoD’s penchant for creating hard-to-monitor “shell” contractors as disbursement centers for funding programs.
In this context, a publication disseminated at DA’s “The Soldier As A System” symposium noted that the Army’s Research and Technology Program sponsors 42 laboratories and R & D centers, employing approximately 10,000 scientists and engineers. The annual budget of $1.3 billion is only a small part of overall DoD research spending. Weapons research, which includes the development and testing of “non-lethal” weapons, is not governed by laws restricting the activities of U.S. Intelligence agencies, though it may be presumed
that these agencies contribute to and benefit from such research.
1. The technology exists for the types of harassment and experimentation reported to us.
2. About a dozen U.S. citizens have informed us of continuing experiments with effects which directed-energy weapons are designed to produce.
3. U.S. Government-sponsored research into the bioeffects of exposure to microwave radiation is extensive and continuing.
4. The U.S. Government has a past record of having engaged in mind-control exrientation; and various agencies of the Government have a record of circumventing legal restrictions upon their activities.
5. Neither Congress nor the courts appear willing to look closely into “black” intelligence and weapons procurement programs.
6. A number of U.S. Government agencies might have interest in testing directed-energy technologies on U.S. citizens under non-clinical/non-controlled circumstances DoD to test ranges and degrees of “non-lethality”; DoE, to explore “safety” limits; CIA, to test “mind-control” capabilities, and NSA, for technological refinement.
PART II — OVERT AND COVERT HARASSMENT
Since publication of the preceding article less than four months ago, the association of National Security Alumni/Electronic Surveillance Project has heard from an additional 13 Individuals who report both overt harassment and a range of symptoms which coincide with the known effects of exposure to microwaves, electromagnetic/radio frequency (RF) adiation and/or infrasound. The similarity of these symptoms will be addressed in greater detail in future Project reports. Suffice it to say, at this point, that the physical and psychological symptoms being reported to us are consistent with the effects which directed-energy weapons are designed to produce. Indeed, the numerous afflictions (or “inflictions”) being reported appear to parallel standard torture “sequelae,”(1) (aftereffects).
Overt Harassment — which obviously is meant to be observed – may be intended to oprondition” individuals for eventual long-term electronic harassment. Persons terrified by unexplained overt harassment are not likely to cope with the sudden onset of electronic harassment in any more reasoned fashion. This phased pattern of harassment is apparent in all of the cases now being investigated. The fact that the overt haras ment continues in these cases even after the electronic targeting commences suggest that the objective is to maintain long-term extremes of stress.
Many of the overt harassment tactics discussed below are surfacing in cases which (so far) have not involved discernible forms of electronic harassment. These are cases involving so-called “whistleblowers” who, because of their inside knowledge of certain potentially wsworthy events, pose particular threats of embarrassment to the Government or to government-affiliated employers. We have noticed that electronic harassment is beginning to surface as a form of retaliation against persons who try to assist electronic “harassees.” Retaliation suggest loss of control. Under these circumstances, we are not entirely confident that “whistleblowers” will continue to be exempted from this type of harassment in the long term.
The individuals now in touch with the Project describe their circumstances as involving most, if not all, of the following overt forms of harassment: * Sudden, bizarrely-rude treatment, isolation and acts of harassment and vandalism by formerly friendly neighbors.
* Harassing telephone calls, which continue even after the targeted individual obtains new, unlisted telephone numbers.
* Mail interception, theft and tampering.
* Noise campaigns.
While unrelenting harassing telephone calls might be considered in this context, other tactics are employed. Blaring horns, whistles, sirens, garbage disposal (run concurrently in apartment settings, for excessively prolonged periods of time), and amplified transmissions of recorded “general racket” have been used on a recurrent basis under circumstances intened to persuade the individual that he or she is under surveillance.
In all of these cases, the individuals’ neighbors apparently pretend to be oblivious and/or indifferent to these sudden, continuous explosions of noise. Door slamming is also a popular pastime, particularly in apartment buildings. One individual reported that, during a peak period of harassment, the neighbor across the hall began entering and leaving his apartment every 10 minutes, slamming his door loudly on each occasion. This was a daily occurrence, encompassing periods of several hours, over a period of several months. It is apparently served to trigger a door-slamming “chain reaction” on the part of neighbors both on that floor and on the floors immediately above and below. When our contact politely asked her immediate neighbor to close her door more quietly, he slammed the door in her face. Prior to commencement of this harassment, the neighbor had apparently been quite friendly and courteous.
In another case, the primary door-slammer is an employee of Radix Systems, Inc., ockville, MD, a DoD contractor engaged in the “super-secret” research and development of some type of electronic equipment. Several individuals reported recurrent, loud, strange noises in their ventilation systems during the preliminary stages of their harassment. On checking further, he found that a tubular construction had been built into his vent system which appears to lead to the apartment upstairs. His upstairs neighbor is employed by the Department of Justice.
A number of individuals report that occupants of upstairs and downstairs apartments appear to follow them from room to room, tapping on the floor or engaging in other activities which appear intended to advertise an ongoing surveillance. The Justice Department employee mentioned above went as far as to offer an unsolicited apology to her downstairs neighbor for an all- night “pacing about” in her bedroom (in the event he had happened to notice it). She claimed to be an insomniac. The pacing-about continued during her recent 36-hour absence from the area. When her contact politely alerted her to the fact that her apartment had apparently been entered during her absence, she told him, in effect, to mind his own business and then immediately complained to the building manager that he was stalking her.
She conveniently forgot to inform the building manager that she had assiduously “courted” this individual for several months, without success; and that she had been stealing his ewspapers on a regular basis. (On one occasion, she handed him a week’s accumulation of those papers, claiming that they had been left outside the door of another apartment. Her reason for collecting and saving the newspapers which had not been delivered to her directly is unknown.)
* Recurrent confrontations by unusually hostile strangers; and comments by strangers hich appear intended to evoke “paranoid” reactions. In this context, we note that several dividuals have reported confrontations with “homeless” people who, on closer examination, were found to be fastidiously clean, though garbed in offbeat fashion (wigs included). The same “eccentric” confronted two of the individuals in contact with us, at separate distant locations. He is reported as having feigned mental illness on both occasions, and as having apparently enjoyed creating a public scene.
* Entries into the individual’s residence, during late-night hours while he/she is sleeping, and/or during the day when the individual is elsewhere. In virtually all such cases, the burglars leave evidence of their visits, such as relocating objects, or by committing petty and not so=petty acts of vandalism. In two cases, the burglar’s “calling card” was to slaughter caged pets, leaving the mangled carcasses inside their locked cages. In one case, the burglar stole several pieces of correspondence and left a packet of crack cocaine behind as a “calling card.” Our contact in this case — an individual who has no criminal record and no history of experimentation with drugs – is also being harassed (stalked) by a police officer of her community. One of his recent acts was to “frame” her with a drug possession charge. After pulling her off the road (a frequent pastime) and subjecting her to an illegal search (done, twice, so far), he conveniently managed to find a glassine packet of cocaine eight feet away, in front of his squad car. He retrieved the packet with his fingers and then charged her with Possession. Our contact found the packet of crack cocaine in her apartment shortly after this investigator reminded the attorney handling her case that the police officer had smudged his only piece of evidence with his own fingerprints. It would appear that someone is interested in correcting that police officer’s oversight. In another case, the individual reports that a tremendous amount of money has been stolen from a hiding place in her apartment, within hours after she had withdrawn the money from her bank. There was no obvious signs of entry into her apartment. The police conducted a cursory inquiry which failed to produce evidence of a crime worthy of investigation. (This case is an anomaly. Money is usually not stolen. Documents appear to be the preferred objects of theft, when theft occur.)
In another case, the burglars replaced installed lightbulbs with “exploding” bulbs, many of which were ‘Made in Hungary.’ The lightbulbs are now in our possession.
* Rapidly deteriorating health, generally of a digestive nature. In two cases of the cases reported, massive rectal bleeding accompanied the sudden onset of sever gastrointestinal disturbances. One of these individuals abruptly terminated the deteriorative process simply by changing the locks on her door.
* Sleep disruption/deprivation This is achieved by means of overt and electronic arassment. Sleep deprivation, as a tactic, invariably surfaces when the targeted individual begins exhibiting a strong emotional and irrational response to the other forms of harassment.
* Vandalism of privately-owned vehicles Vehicles invite peculiarly ferocious attacks in these harassment campaigns — slashed tires, smashed windows, oil drainage, oil contamination, destruction of electronic components and batteries (frequently involving wildly fluctuating, grounded fuel gages, often within range of weapons research facilities and/or other microwave emitters); and suddenly failed brakes and clutches (possible involving anti-raction polymers, which are also in DoD’s “non-lethal” weapons arsenal). Recurrent auto thefts have also been reported.
Two individuals reported finding their oil contaminated immediately after having the oil changed by reputable mechanics. In one of these cases, the oil viscosified (thickened) while the individual was driving through a remote rural area. Her car ground to a halt. Getting the “gunk” cleaned out of her engine proved to be an expensive ordeal. (Viscosification agents are also lauded by the U.S. Global Strategy Council as serving “non-lethal” strategic purposes — a topic discussed in Part I of this publication. Had this woman been assaulted while awaiting help in the said isolated area, the “non-lethal” attributes of viscosfication agents might have required redefinition.)
Most of those who have experienced these attacks on a Recurring basis have abandoned driving all together – an objective apparently sought by their tormentors as a means of Increasing their isolation.
* Staged accidents. The majority of those in touch with us have reported these types of experiences. One individual, for example, was tailgated at a high rate of speed by two vehicles, while concurrently being threatened with a gun by one of the vehicles’ occupants. Two others narrowly avoided what happened to be deliberately attempted collisions by drivers who quickly sped away from the scene. One avoided three attempts in four days at being run off the road. One survived by being run off the road in two incidents within a one-week period, which resulted in “totaling” of her two vehicles. Another narrowly avoided being crushed into an expressway retaining wall, on four occasions, by an off-duty metro bus, as well as, within the same time frame, being “fried” by two suddenly-malfunctioned household appliances which subsequently repaired themselves. It should be noted that, in some of these cases, “accidental” deaths do occur. One individual in contact with us reported that his mother drove off a cliff to her death, during a period when he was researching evidence that a still-respected, high level State Department official had passed A-bomb secrets to the Soviet Government during World War II. The accident occurred shortly after her car had undergone routine maintenance. She was returning from a dental appointment when the accident occurred. Witnesses state that it appeared that she had suddenly stepped on the accelerator before running off the road. The accident served to terminate this person’s research project.
We also look into the recent death of a woman in Lexington, MO, who was killed when the brakes on her tractor failed. We are informed that she had been collecting affidavits from persons who believe they are the targets of government harassment and experimentation when her “accident” occurred. We are also informed that these affidavits have disappeared.
Suicides might also qualify as “staged accidents,”particularly where “plausibly deniable” overnment involvement has been surfaced. We are currently looking into the recent suicide of a man in Trappe, PA, who, as early as 1981, had asked the FBI and CIA to intervene in his case. We have copies of that early correspondence. The man, a former U.S. Army radar technician, had a highly technical and — given date of his correspondence — “precocious” grasp of the experimental objectives apparently being sought in his case. It is apparent from his correspondence that he had wanted to believe that the Soviets were conducting these experiments. The FBI and CIA, of course, did not intervene. We are informed that members of his family have also been targets of this experimentation.
* Isolation of the individual from members of his/her family — virtually assured when highly focused forms of electronic harassment commence. The exception to this is when elderly parents and young children in the family become targets for apparent purposes of intimidation. This situation has been reported in eight of our cases, to date.
One individual (driven to extremes of stress by ongoing electronic harassment focusing on her children) killed one child in an effort to protect her from further pain.(2) It appears that lasers were being used in this individual’s case. T he targeting intensified after she called the Soviet Embassy to report the harassment, which she believed to be U.S. Government sponsored. It became even more deadly when, in a further show of defiance, she then called the representative of the Iraqi Government to portray the U.S. Government’s war in the Middle East as “hypocritical.” She is now hospitalized in a midwestern facility, where, apparently, the experimentation is now continuing. (That psychiatric facility is in a State where a disproportionate number of complaints of electronic harassment are beginning to surface. It is also within range of a U.S. Air Force base which houses a “super secret” research facility. We are currently looking into information that spouses and children of persons employed on that USAF base may be the targets of involuntary experimentation involving direct-energy weapons technologies.)
Another individual, during a telephone conversation, was told by an employee of a local power company that, if she valued the lives of her children, she would drop her public opposition to the company’s installation of high power lines. Since receiving that threat, the individual’s 11-year-old daughter has been reduced to extremes of pain, resulting in her recurrent hospitalization for treatment of illnesses which cannot be diagnosed. It is also
apparent to this individual that her three-year-old son is on the receiving end of externally-induced auditory input. (DoE figures prominently in this case.)
· Progressive financial impoverishment, brought on by termination of the individual’s employment, and compounded by expenses associated with the harassment.
The majority of those now in contact with the Project educated, white-collar professionals have lost their jobs. Termination of employment in many of these cases involved prefatory harassment by the employer and co-workers, which coincided with the other overt forms of harassment discussed above.
The overt harassment tactics are being described as recurrent, non sequential and verlapping. As noted above, the overt harassment continues even after the electronic harassment commences.
FAILURE OF “ESTABLISHMENT” SUPPORT SYSTEMS
Those individuals who have tried to resolve their respective situations through resort to “establishment” channels have invariably encountered the following:
* Apathy, indifference and/or professed helplessness on the part of members of Congress and state legislators.
* Dismissal and/or attempted discrediting by psychiatrists who refuse to include the terms, “government harassment,” “mind-control experimentation” and “torture” in their vocabulary.
Several individuals, thinking the psychiatrists might help to alleviate the extreme stress associated with their harassment, and accorded “treatment” which clearly pointed to corporation between their psychiatrists and members of the U.S. Intelligence community.
One such psychiatrist, in fact, bragged about being a member of the U.S. Intelligence “inner circle,” informing our contact that her harassment was a “Pavlovian Experiment,” intended to “break” her.
* Lack of interest, courage and/or competency in legal circles. Few of those in contact with us have been able to acquire legal assistance — not helped by their straitened financial circumstances. Most have found that few attorneys are willing to risk their careers by pursuing cases involving what is believed to be government-sponsored harassment or experimentation.
A few attorneys reportedly engaged in egregious violations of codes of professional conduct, in what appear to have been deliberate efforts at sabotaging our contacts’ cases.Subsequent attempts by two individuals at obtaining legal redress were met with stonewalling, bstruction, and high-level denials of wrongdoing.
* Refusal of the mass media to address this topic, except in those cases where suspected experimentees have been driven to committing murder or suicide. Such cases (particularly where an individual has claimed to be a victim of CIA-directed mind-control involving auditory input) are treated by the press as “curiosities.” Am example of this is the individual who shot a Navy officer outside the Pentagon in mid-1991.(3) He claimed to be a victim of CIA mind control, involving auditory input. According to the press, “he worried ‘about being run over by trains’…” (ref. incident described in following paragraph). He is now ermanently residing in a psychiatric facility. He, being institutionalized, and others in the preliminary stages of his predicament are no longer of interest to the media.
Another recent case which received short-lived press attention(4) involved a woman diagnosed as having “suffered from periods of confusion” who climbed over a fence onto a railroad track and walked into an oncoming train. Because the incident occurred in a community in which an unusually large number of mind-control experiments have been reported, we are looking into the situation. The woman was reportedly “under a physician’s care” because of her “periods of confusion.” A family member described the physician to this investigator as “a psychiatrist.” We find that the alleged “psychiatrist” is a General Practitioner, otherwise non-accredited, practicing out of his home. We find also that the suicide may have been witnessed under peculiarly-timed circumstances by an alleged “homeless” person who has since disappeared. Needless to say, our interest has been whetted.
* Refusal and/or inability of local police to intervene. The tendency of local police is to dismiss an individual’s complaints of government harassment as the ravings of a “fruitcake.” In one case, discussed above, it is apparent that one police officer is actively cooperating in the harassment. Some police agencies, while acknowledging the reality of the situation, hesitate to intervene in cases involving what they believe to be U.S. Intelligence. On a few occasions, certain police officials did attempt to intervene, based on what they perceived to be evidence of a systematic harassment/illegal surveillance campaign. Absent a clear mandate to prosecute “stalkers” acting under the aegis of U.S. Intelligence, the police obviously had their hands tied.
· Refusal of the FBI to intervene in any of the cases brought to our attention thus far. FBI spokesmen do acknowledge that they have received a large number of requests for assistance from “mentally disturbed persons” who believe that they are being “zapped by radio waves” and/or “are hearing voices…” “from Mars, that is.” In one case, an FBI spokesman reacted in a angry, defensive and bizarre fashion when our contact briefly alluded to
· ROJECT SLAM
· MER as possibly being related to her surveillance. (PROJECT SLAMMER is a CIA-funded study, managed by CIA and FBI behavioral scientist, which explores the “mental make-up” of alleged security risks, along with their family members and close associates. Participants in PROJECT SLAMMER include NSA, DIA, and Army, Navy and Air Force Intelligence.)
Until PROJECT SLAMMER was mentioned, the FBI spokesman’s approach in this case was to politely and redundantly explain that the law, as currently constructed, prevents the FBI’s intervening in this individual’s case. What she briefly pointed out that the surveillance activities might fall under the purview of PROJECT SLAMMER, the spokesman’s response was to abruptly and angrily declaim, “You don’t know who is conducting that surveillance! You don’t know if that is a state police surveillance!…or a local police surveillance! It could be a totally unrelated operation! You don’t know who is conducting that surveillance! [etc., etc.]!”
It was apparent from that response that the FBI was at least acknowledging the existence of a surveillance, if in somewhat emotional fashion. The individual in question subsequently furnished acquired evidence to the local police, who made it clear that they are no participants in the surveillance which, based on the evidence, pointedly suggest that our contact is the target.
* Refusal of inability of the ACLU and Amnesty International to intervene.
Both organizations acknowledge receiving many complaints from persons claiming to be the targets of some type of electronic harassment. An ACLU spokes-woman characterized the complaints as appearing to be rational, except in a few cases. The complaints are not being investigated, she said, because of “limited cresources.” We have to wonder, of course, why the ACLU could recently find resources to defend the rights of prostitutes and the Ku Klux Klan, yet remains incapable of intervening in cases such as we are now pursuing.
Amnesty International recently informed one of our contacts that they could not intervene in her case because their focus is on the U.S. Government’s treatment of prison inmates. While Incarceration does appear to be one sought-for objective in this harassment/mind control experiments, we would like to think that protection by such organizations as Amnesty International can be achieved beforehand.
RELATED COVERT METHODOLOGIES
The persons engaged in this harassment tend to become careless, possibly the result of arrogance born of an assumption that nobody can stop them. “Harassees” who have noted this carelessness have furnished us with the following insights into the covert side of these harassment activities.
* Impersonation of military officers. One individual found that her next-door neighbor had claimed to be a military intelligence officer, assigned to a space technology unit in California, on year-long “TDY” (temporary duty) in the individual’s apartment building. It is subsequently determined that this alleged officer is not in fact a member of the U.S. Armed Forces; and that he had used this bogus status to acquire information from a major defense contractor. Our contact is certain that this person’s apartment was used as a base of harassment operations.
* Use of concealment devices, and emitters detected to date. Several individuals and supportive associates report having seen some of the electronic devices being used in these harassment campaigns.
One saw electronic equipment concealed inside a false-front upright piano being moved out of her apartment building. She had previously noted that all of her surrounding neighbors Had identical upright pianos in their apartments, not one of which was ever played.
Other suspected participants in the harassment may be concealing devices in oversized stereo speakers, measuring approximately 5′ in height x 3’x3′. Several of our contacts have noted the presence of such speakers in adjacent dwellings. One individual was told by a resident of her building that her upstairs neighbor has “microwave ovens” in his bedroom And livingroom, but none in the kitchen. Another individual, while standing outside, looked in her neighbor’s window to find that her bedroom appeared to be the target of a gray colored, elongated box-like device, measuring approximately 1′ in length x 5″ in height (side view). A large, black-framed lens protruded from the end facing her window. The electrical cord, if any, was not visible from that vantage point. The equipment was being operated by a stranger in a three-piece suit, who appeared to be quite startled to find that he was being observed.
Another was given strong reason to believe that portable emitters are being concealed in oversized, extremely heavy, sometimes expandable “briefcases” for use in places of public assembly, such as meeting halls, auditoriums and restaurants. Smaller varieties are apparently being used on aircraft.
On a 3-hour flight, our contact noticed that the man sitting next to her seemed peculiarly intent on keeping the attache case on his lap propped open with his fingertips, while he gazed “blankly” into the distance during the entire flight. She believed that she was being electronically harassed while on a flight (a common complaint, in most of these cases now being investigated).
Our contact reports that, when they prepared to land, the man opened his attache case to hastily check his contents, thus disclosing the presence of a raised, built-in “concealment device” covering the entire bottom surface of the attache case. The low-slung, lift-off cover did not appear to be capable of concealing a laptop computer. At one point during the flight Apparently aware that his “reverie” was inviting attention, the man devoted approximately ten minutes to scribbling assorted entries on a sheet of lined paper, which he had placed on top of the briefcase two hours previously. He devoted roughly ten minutes to the effort (obviously preferring a pen to a laptop computer). His attache case remained ajar during this process.(5)
One individual reports that mobile emitters may be installed in certain oversized, non attributed medical emergency vehicles, possibly for the eventual use in civil disturbances. Her unsuccessful attempts at following the “medical emergency” vehicle which had surfaced in her case ended with a high-speed chase.
The phony military intelligence officer, when recently moving out of our contact’s apartment building, was found to possess a device which resembles an oversized microwave oven, measuring approximately 4′ in width x 2′ in height x 2 1/2′ in depth. A subsequent examination of his apartment revealed that he had tapped numerous additional lines into existing, in-house telephone and TV cables; and that he had gone to great pains to conceal a major excavation into one wall abutting the “harassee’s.” Judging from photographs taken immediately after this person’s departure, the wiring suggests that he was hooked by modem into a computer network, and at least of some of his electronic equipment was
situated in a large walk-in closet, again abutting the “harassee’s.”
When the alleged officer moved out, his equipment (except for the oversized “microwave oven”) was packaged in boxes identifying the contents only as stereo components. During his year-long residency in this building, no sounds emanated from his apartment to indicate use of this “stereo” equipment.
* Use of modified license plates and vehicle look-alikes. Some individuals have noted that their neighbors’ vehicles are periodically replaced (during peak periods of harassment) by others which qualify as “rough look-alikes.” These tags on the latter closely resemble those on the homeowners’ vehicles, with a difference being noted in only one digit or one letter. These modified plates appear to have been acquired through State DMV channels, thus suggesting government/intelligence agency involvement.
In one case, where the individual has obtained police assistance, tracking of one plate surfaced evidence of a drug connection. The plate rapidly disappeared from the vehicle in question, to be replaced by another, again bearing a one-letter modification.
* Use of neighbors’ residences as bases of operation and training. One individual recently saw a team of “technicians” in the house behind hers — a consequence of the team’s failure to close the curtains and/or dim the lights when puttering around the kitchen at 5:00 in the morning. The three men (strangers to this individual, all stripped down to their T-shirts) behaved as if they were unaware that they were being watched. Their observer had long suspected that this house was being used as a base of electronic harassment operations. The harassment had been going on throughout the night.
To provoke a response from these men, the individual eventually commented aloud on their activities. They responded immediately by turning the lights off and switching to the use of flashlights. Why they failed to close the curtain is unknown. This individual is working with the police in a effort at ending this surveillance and harassment, with mixed results.
Another individual, paying a surprise visit to the apartment upstairs, overheard one of her own telephone conversations being played on a tape recorder inside that apartment. Lacking both a legitimate pretext to enter the apartment and the support of the building’s management personnel and/or the police, she was prevented from pursuing this further. Her upstairs neighbor is purportedly employed by Stanford University Hospital, in Stanford, CA.
The target of surveillance and harassment in this case is still also trying to recover from the effects of exposure to potentially lethal doses of radiation, administered in the 1970’s by a dangerously “incompetent” dentist. This might explain the involvement of alleged Stanford University Hospital personnel in her situation.
The government is on record as having experimented on unwitting U.S. citizens with radioactive materials during the 1970’s (and earlier).(6) The House Subcommittee on Energy and Commerce based their investigation into this matter on a 30-year accumulation of documents maintained by the Department of Energy. Under the circumstances, it will come as no surprise if it is ultimately found that DoE has been involved in this woman’s
surveillance and harassment.
Another individual paid a surprise visit to the apartment immediately below hers, in the attempt to identify the source of tremendous racket in her ventilation system. Standing outside the door, she could hear an individual moving around, a short distance from the door. She also heard the sound of rustling paper and the steady, sonar-like “pinging” of some type of electronic device. In response to her repeated knockings on the door, the person inside simply stopped moving about. The sound of rustling paper (perhaps a printout of some type) and the steady “…pin-ng!…pin-ng!” sound continued. The occupant of this apartment resumed moving about only after it was (incorrectly) believed that our contact had departed the area. Typically, this situation could not be pursued further.
All of those who live in apartment buildings report unusual patterns of occupancy in the apartments surrounding their own; i.e., upstairs, downstairs and on all sides. They have Become quite convinced — if only because of the highly focused nature of the systems being experienced — that these surrounding apartments are being used as bases of operation. Perhaps this encirclement facilities studies of holographic human telemetries; or perhaps it is intended to increase the prospect of brain entrainment by electronic means “entrainment” being one published objective sought in mind control experiments).(7)
In examining this situation more closely, a number of individuals have found that surrounding apartments are either permanently vacant, for unknown reasons, or that they have been “sub-let” by the original occupants to persons who are purportedly unknown to the buildings’ management personnel. In one case, the surrounding renters all list two residences in the local telephone book. No one lives in the apartment building in question, though the address is identified as one of the renters’ places of residence. One individual suspects that the original occupants of apartments surrounding hers have been simply relocated to other apartments in the same (large) building. Another suspects that an adjacent apartment, which has been permanently rented to the U.S. Government for use by “visitors” is also being used as a base of operations.
One individual found that an immediate neighbor’s housemate has the same (unusual) name of a university professor who has engaged in extensive research on behalf of the government, studying the bioeffects of exposure to microwave radiation.
* Use of informants/agents provocateurs, frequently members of the opposite sex. As noted in the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Interior and Insular Affair’s draft report, Alyeska Pipeline Service Company Covert Operation (July 1992), the Wackenhut Corporation’s Special Investigations Division adopted this tactic when pursuing Alyeska’s critics. A number of individuals in touch with us report a range of experiences with new “friends” who – apparently posing as confidants — used acquired personalia to abruptly end these “friendships” under deliberately degrading and humiliating circumstances. When taken in the context of ongoing surveillance and harassment, these exercises appear intended to heighten emotional trauma, perhaps to provoke an uncontrolled response and/or to enforce isolation.
* Misuse of covert intelligence personnel (possible former case officers). One individual while under contract to the U.S. Government, properly reported what he believed to be an approach by a hostile intelligence service. Within a few weeks, alleged U.S. Intelligence officers contacted this individual. In addition to questioning him about his background, these alleged intelligence officers asked that he keep in constant contact with them, particularly when planning to travel.
It soon became apparent that the alleged intelligence officers were intent only on forcing this individual to report to them as directed, and to account for his activities. He was not asked to assist the U.S. Government in any form of intelligence operation; he was not asked to execute any form of secrecy affirmation statement acknowledging the classified nature of these meetings; nor was he told why these meetings — involving a total of seven alleged case officers — were necessary.
When he began to balk at a continuation of this process, one of his “handlers” conveyed a threat, suggesting that his continued compliance might be “enforced.” Finally, when this Individual adamantly refused to corporate further, massive overt harassment commenced and is currently ongoing.
The operation (clearly intended to bully this individual into submissive compliance for purposes which are still unknown) involved crude tactics formerly prized by the KGB. Whether or not legitimate U.S. Intelligence case officers were involved in this activity remains to be determined. Some private firms retain former U.S. Intelligence case officers for contracting out as “security specialist.” The founder and CEO of one such firm (Gerald P. Burke, The Parvus Company, Silver Spring, MD) has informed us that the activities of contract case officers are neither monitored nor subjected to formal restraint.
* Use of psychotropic drugs by cooperative physicians. Shortly after resigning from the CIA, one of our contacts underwent a range of experiences which suggested that she had been massively drugged. One of the alleged perpetrators, whom we have met, alternately claims to be employed by NASA and/or by a firm in Miami, handling, “microwave equipment.” NASA has no record of this person under the name furnished. The “experimentee” ultimately ought the assistance of a psychiatrist, whom her parents had located as a referral. The psychiatrist treated her reported “flashbacks” by immediately placing her on a regimen of Stelazine, hich quickly aggravated her condition. He also made comments to this individual which suggested that he had a foreknowledge of her situation, and that he was cooperating with U.S. Intelligence. On one occasion the psychiatrist intimated that our contact might be employable as an assassin; and he repeatedly urged her to move to Great Britain where, he said, she would be put in touch with an unidentified Member of Parliament. Interestingly, he had a tremendous computer system in his office suite, which he explained as being onnected by modem into a national level system which, in turn, connected to private residences. When showing her this equipment, the psychiatrist informed our contact that she had been “CAT scanned,” pointing out that she was the subject of a vast series of “A’s” and “B’s” being printed out by one of the many terminals at his disposal.
Our contact also found out that this psychiatrist kept a military uniform in his closet which bore the rank and insignia of a three star general. The individual ultimately sought psychiatric support elsewhere. Her new psychiatrist, formerly employed by DoD, immediately put her on a regimen of Haladol Decanoate, Klonopin and Benzatropine. The combined effect of these drugs was loss of memory and a state of mind which, under other circumstances, might be diagnosed as Depersonalization or Dissociative Disorder. All three drugs proved to be highly addictive. Our contact, since severing contact which this sychiatrist as well, has finally successfully overcome the addiction.
Another individual — the one whose psychiatrist had informed her of her role in a “Pavlovian Experiment” – was subjected to attempted drugging by Trazodone, one of the strongest sedatives on the market. The psychiatrist in question kept no record of the individual’s outpatient visits, nor of her Trazodone prescriptions. Being unaware that the individual was not adhering to his regimen, the psychiatrist urged her rapidly to increase her dosage, renewing her 30-day prescription after a period of only 11 days.
Though aware of her heart condition, he failed to monitor her condition, dismissing her complaints of (electronically-induced) pains in her heart as inconsequential. Trazodone is know to aggravate heart conditions. Perhaps the intent was to have this individual succumb to a “heart attack” as the result of “imagined” government harassment. Neither the appropriate psychiatric society nor the FBI would touch this case.
Another individual (a clear target of retaliation) sought medical assistance to counter sudden massive headaches and recurrent attacks of vomiting — effects which can be produced by infrasound. The physician to whom she was referred (an alleged specialist in Internal Medicine) placed her on a combination of Compazine and Xanax, prescribing dosages which the Physicians’ Desk Reference warns against. Compazine, in addition to being an anti-emetic, is used in the treatment of psychotic disorders. It can also cause dyskinesia, an irreversible syndrome involving loss of motor control. Xanax is known to induce vomiting. Both drugs can lead to dependance and a worsening of the patient’s condition. The effects of all such drugs, in fact, can be mutated in high-energy fields, thus increasing the likelihood of adverse reactions.
We have recently found that this prescribing “physician” is not licensed to practice medicine in the State of which she has been practicing since at least 1989. Our contact, being oncerned about the long-term effects of Xanax and Compazine, consulted another physician in the same office. The physician immediately prescribed Prozac, failing to concurrently recommend that her patient discontinue the Xanax and Compazine prescriptions. When our contact refused to take any psychotropic drugs, the doctor became upset and asked, “Don’t you want to get well?”
This second physician is a licensed practitioner in Internal Medicine, with no background in Psychiatry. We also found that she apparently refers her patients to yet a third physician in the office who claims to be a psychiatrist. She, too, is licensed to practice Internal Medicine, only. Her receptionist described this third physician as having a sychiatric “sub-specialty,” … “as an internist.” The receptionist also informed us that this internist “is treating a number of psychiatric patients.”
On pursuing this further, we find that these physicians are in a small “medicine group” which is not listed by specialty in standard regional telephone directories. The group bears the same name as one of the CIA.